Portland

South Dakota governor sues Biden administration over Mount Rushmore fireworks – Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon 2021-04-30 15:20:29 –

Fireworks illuminate the sky at Mount Rushmore National Memorial near Keystone, South Dakota, on Friday, July 3, 2020, after President Donald Trump speaks. (AP Photo / Alex Brandon)

Pierre, South DakotaKCAU) – South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem filed a proceeding Friday against officials of President Joe Biden’s administration over the cancellation of the fireworks festival on Mount Rushmore.

Herbert Frost, regional director of the National Park Service, said in a letter to the state in March that the NPS Refused to allow this year’s fireworks, COVID-19 epidemic, tribal opposition, environmental concerns quoted.

In the proceedings, US Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland was appointed. Shannon Estenox, Deputy Secretary of the Interior for the Fish Wildlife Park. Sean Benji, Deputy Director and Deputy Director of National Park Service Operations, and Herbert Frost, Director of the Mid West National Park Service. It was submitted to the US District Court in Central South Dakota.

According to the announcement from the governor’s office Gnome previously asked Biden A few weeks ago, to support an agreement between the National Park Service and South Dakota on the Mount Rushmore Fireworks Festival.The release also said that Nome showed the work that the state and others did to ensure. 2020 celebration It was done safely and responsibly.

The Biden administration has not responded to our request to support a memorandum of understanding between South Dakota and the National Park Service (NPS) to host a safe and responsible national celebration. Fireworks show, “said Nome.

Nome added that officials did not agree to the agreement without meaningful explanation.

“We are calling on the Home Office (DOI) to suspend the refusal of fireworks permits and order the court to issue a permit for the event promptly,” Noem continued.

State tourism authorities believe in the 2020 fireworks celebration Generated $ 2 million in spending It is in a state.

According to a report from the Nexstar family of KELO in Sioux Falls The 2020 celebration totaled at least $ 1.5 million.. Nome used money from the Future Fund, a tax paid by businesses for economic development, KELO said. It was created in 1987 by taking a portion of the amount a company paid unemployment tax and diverting it for a new purpose.

The full complaint can be read below or Here..

South Dakota governor sues Biden administration over Mount Rushmore fireworks Source link South Dakota governor sues Biden administration over Mount Rushmore fireworks

Back to top button