Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2021-05-31 04:32:17 –
Pittsburgh (KDKA) — Today is Memorial Day, a day to pay tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.
Many in our area are expected to participate in services and compliments, including decades of pilgrimages that have been resumed after being suspended last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The pilgrimage makes 16 stops to honor those who have dedicated everything for the country.
The pandemic forced the memorial service last year to be cancelled.
Today’s event begins at 8am at the boat dock on 17th Avenue with a wreath launch.
Rich Fitzgerald executives from Allegheny and Senator Jay Costa will be present.
Each location includes prayer, wreath placement, rifle salute, and “tap” performances.
Part of this year’s commemorative event will include an elevated road by the 911 Airlift Wing around 10:15 am.
The pilgrimage will stop at the following locations and times.
- VFW Post 6675, S. 20th at Sydney Street – 8:15 AM
- Carnegie Library, 2205 E. Carson Street – 8:30 am
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial, E. Carson, South 18th Avenue – 8:45 AM
- Polish Veterans Memorial, 1807 Jane Street. –9:00 am
- Fire Department # 24, 1724 Mary Street – 9:15 AM
- South High School Memorial, E. Carson on S. 10th Avenue – 9:30 AM
- Armstrong Park Memorial, Sarah at S. 12th Street – 9:45 AM
- Mission Street Memorial, Mission Street 2315 – 10:00 am
- Pius Street Memorial Garden, 105 Paias Street – 10:15 am
- Zone 3 Police Station, Arlington, Warrington Avenue – 10:30 am
- Mountain Oliver Firehouse, 120 Brownsville Road – 10:45 AM
- Brownsville Road, Suncrest Street, 30th Word Memorial – 11:00 AM
- Boy Scout Veterans Memorial, Brownsville Road between Birmingham and Linnview Avenue – 11:15 AM
- St. Adalbert Cemetery, 1512 Brownsville Road – 11:30 am
- South Side Cemetery, 1404 Brownsville Road – 11:45 AM
The pilgrimage ends around 12:30 pm after a short program at the South Side Cemetery.
The keynote speaker may be Tony Moreno, a candidate for mayor who served in the US Army Airborne Corps.
South Side Hilltop Memorial Day Pilgrimage Set To Take Place – CBS Pittsburgh Source link South Side Hilltop Memorial Day Pilgrimage Set To Take Place – CBS Pittsburgh