Lexington-Fayette

The Pentagon reverses itself and calls the deadly Kabul hit an error – Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky

Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky 2021-09-17 15:29:29 –

Washington (AP) — The Pentagon withdrew from defense of a drone attack that killed multiple civilians in Afghanistan last month.

On Friday, an internal review announced that only civilians were killed in the attack, not the first believed Islamic state militants.

“That was a tragic mistake,” General Frank Mackenzie, commander of the US Central Army, said at a press conference on Friday.

In the days following the August 29 strike, Pentagon officials claimed it was done correctly, despite the killings of many civilians, including children.

“As a combatant commander, I take full responsibility for the strike in his tragic consequences,” said General Mackenzie.

The press later questioned that version of the event, supporting the Pentagon’s claim that the driver of the targeted vehicle was a longtime employee of an American humanitarian organization and that the vehicle contained explosives. He mentioned that there was no evidence.



Source link

Back to top button