Image: General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Source: via Monica King, US Army, public domain, Wikimedia Commons.
By Idrees Ali
Washington (Reuters)-On Tuesday, the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the U.S. Army, unified leaders of various services, said last week’s violent riots were a US constitutional process and violated the law. And sent a rare joint message to military personnel.
The message broke almost a week of silence by military leaders after an attack on the Houses of Parliament by supporters of President Donald Trump concealed lawmakers and killed five.
Many Trump cabinet members, including Deputy Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller, have accused the violent storm, but US Supreme General, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, has been silent.
“The violent riots in Washington, DC on January 6, 2021 were direct attacks on the US Parliament, the Capitol, and the constitutional process,” seven generals and one admiral said in an internal memo to the military. He said the army remained, adding. We are committed to protecting and defending the Constitution.
Subscribe to deliver daily fixes to your inbox 5 days a week
“The right to freedom of speech and assembly does not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition or riots,” said a memo obtained by Reuters.
“The act of disrupting the constitutional process is not just against our traditions, values and oaths. It is against the law.”
US officials said Millie didn’t comment on what happened last week because she wanted to move away from politics.
Silence caused Milly to controversy with Trump in the church after National Guard-backed law enforcement officers used tear-inducing chemicals and rubber bullets to clear the territory of peaceful protesters. It was in stark contrast to June when I took a walk
Some military personnel personally expressed concern that they had not received any instructions from senior leaders in the aftermath of a disastrous attack on American democracy on Wednesday.
After the attack on the Capitol, a new focus was also placed on radicalism within the US military, with the majority of military personnel being white and male.
The Army told Reuters on Tuesday that one of about 10,000 state soldiers would work with the FBI to see if the attacker was a current soldier and secure Joe Biden’s inauguration in the presidential election. He said he was working with the Secret Service to see if he needed additional screening.
Reported by Idrees Ali.