Honolulu, Hawaii 2021-09-17 15:37:47 –
Washington (AP) — The Pentagon withdrew from defense of a drone strike that killed as many as 10 civilians in Afghanistan last month, and internal reviews killed only civilians, not first Islamic state militants. Announced that it became clear. believed it.
In the days following the August 29 strike, Pentagon officials claimed it was done correctly, despite the killings of many civilians, including children.
Check out what’s happening all over our country National news page
“After a thorough examination of the findings and the analysis supporting the inter-ministerial partners, we are confident that as many as 10 civilians, including up to 7 children, were tragically killed in the strike,” he said. General Kenneth McKenzie, a top US Central Command general, said in a statement on Friday. “Furthermore, it is unlikely that the vehicle and the dead were currently associated with ISIS-K or directly involved in the U.S. military. We apologize for the inconvenience. This strike was carried out with a serious belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our troops and airport refugees. But it was a mistake. We sincerely apologize. Combat Command As an official, I am completely responsible for this strike and its tragic consequences. “
The press later questioned that version of the event, supporting the Pentagon’s claim that the driver of the targeted vehicle was a longtime employee of an American humanitarian organization and that the vehicle contained explosives. He mentioned that there was no evidence.
US confirms ‘tragic’ Kabul drone strike killed civilians Source link US confirms ‘tragic’ Kabul drone strike killed civilians