The United States surpassed 500,000 deaths from the coronavirus-mediated disease COVID-19 on Monday as experts prepared for a Food and Drug Administration advisory board meeting later this week to consider Johnson & Johnson vaccine candidates. I did.
The J & J Vaccine is a single-dose regimen, does not have the existing licensed jab refrigeration requirements, and must be administered every two weeks, making it a game changer for the vaccine program if licensed.
President Joe Biden will hold a candlelight ceremony late Monday to honor the dead in the United States, recognizing the devastating sacrifice the country suffered from a pandemic that occurred about a year ago.
In the United States, which accounts for 4% of the world’s population, about one-quarter of the world’s cases (28 million in the world total of 111.6 million) and about one-fifth of the world’s deaths (total 2.47 million). There are 500,000 people). According to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
The death toll is much higher than the Trump administration predicted last March. Estimated to result in 100,000 to 240,000 deaths..
In the United States, India and Brazil, the two most affected countries, have more than doubled the number of deaths, and Brazil and Mexico, the second and third most deadly, have suffered. Is more than double.
“It’s amazing to see the numbers, and almost unbelievable, but it’s true,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, a top US infectious disease expert. I told NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday. “This is a devastating pandemic and historic. People will discuss it in the last few decades, decades, and decades from now.”
There is optimism, but in that case, hospitalizations and hospitalizations are clearly on the decline, and the vaccine program is on track to reach President Biden’s goal of 100 million doses in the first 100 days. I’m out.Biden is now We plan to step up that effort And we aim to vaccinate all eligible adults against the coronavirus by the end of summer.
The limited supply of the two approved COVID-19 vaccines has hampered the pace of vaccination. This was before extreme winter weather delayed about 6 million vaccinations last week. However, with the proliferation of manufacturing and the expectation that a third vaccine will be available soon, the United States is on the verge of a breakthrough in supply.
“Vaccination is one thing, and vaccination on someone’s arm is very different,” said Biden, who visited Pfizer’s manufacturing plant in Portage, Michigan. The company plans to double the pace of vaccine delivery in the coming weeks.
The· Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Vaccine Tracker Shows that as of 6 am on Sunday, 75.2 million vaccinations, 63 million vaccinations and 43.6 million Americans received one or more vaccinations. ..
The United States added 55,195 new proceedings on Sunday. According to the New York Times tracker. In the United States, there was an average of 66,393 new cases per day over the past week, a 44% decrease from the average two weeks ago.
There were 56,159 COVID-19 patients in a US hospital on Sunday. According to the COVID tracking project It decreased from 58,222 on the previous day. It’s the lowest level since November 7th.
According to Raymond James analyst Chris Mekins, the average daily number of cases has decreased by 74% from its peak in January, hospitalizations have decreased by 53%, and deaths have decreased by 43%.
“The Senate will hold a hearing with vaccine manufacturers on February 23 on how to further accelerate vaccination,” Mekins wrote in a memo to customers. “We are also continuing to monitor increasingly relevant US variants. On Wednesday, CDC director Dr. Wallensky emphasized the importance of delaying spread to prevent further mutations. . “
In other news:
• An FDA Advisory Board of Independent Experts will meet on Thursday to discuss and vote on the benefits of the trial vaccine developed by Johnson & Johnson.
Outweigh the risk, Reported by Jaimy Lee of MarketWatch. Regulators do not have to follow the advice of the Commission, but often do. The FDA will also publish a report on J & J’s COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday. “Adcom” meeting It will be held all day Thursday. For vaccines that already have an emergency use authorization, the FDA granted them the day after the advisory board meeting for those vaccines. This means that J & J’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate may be approved on Friday.
• British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Monday details Parliament paved the way for the continued success of ongoing vaccination campaigns to gradually lift COVID-19 pandemic-related restrictions in the United Kingdom. The government is ready to reopen elementary and junior high school on March 8 after a two-month closure after Christmas, according to a plan widely leaked in the British press on Monday. According to the newspaper, unwanted retailers will be allowed to reopen at the end of April, but pubs and restaurants will remain closed unless they can serve outdoor meals. Explanation from the government Official.
Oxford University has reduced hospitalizations by up to 85% and 94%, respectively. “These results are important in moving from expectation of benefits from the vaccine to solid evidence. Overall, the results show a substantial effect in reducing the risk of hospitalization with a single dose of the vaccine. “It was,” said Dr. Jim McMenamin, director of the National COVID-19 Incident in Scottish Public Health, in a statement.
• UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres accused the authoritarian regime of using the pandemic as an excuse to crack down on the objections. Guterres wrote to the Guardian. The crisis set back many years of human rights progress, and abuse “prospered because poverty, discrimination, the destruction of our natural environment, and other human rights failures created enormous vulnerabilities in our society.”Guterres Renewed his criticism of a wealthy country We stopped the supply of vaccines and left more than 130 countries without a single dose. “If the virus is allowed to spread like a wildfire in parts of the southern part of the world, it will mutate over and over again. The new variants are more contagious and more deadly. Yes, it can threaten the effectiveness of current vaccines and diagnoses, which can significantly prolong pandemics, allow the virus to return and afflict northern parts of the world, and delay global economic recovery. “He wrote.
• China enjoyed a record $ 1.2 billion in movie ticket sales during the recent Chinese New Year, accounting for one-tenth of the world’s 2020 box office revenue in six days. There are various reports. This is the first time that China has generated more than RMB 1 billion, or $ 155 million, in daily box office revenue for five consecutive days. During the holidays, more than 160 million people participated in more than 2.9 million screenings.
• India’s Serum Institute, the world’s largest vaccine maker, was instructed to “prioritize India’s huge needs and balance other needs in the world with it,” CEO Adar Poonawalla tweeted. It is stated in. The institute manufactures vaccines developed in AstraZeneca and Oxford.
According to Johns Hopkins data, about 63 million people have recovered from COVID-19.
Brazil has 246,504 deaths after the United States, followed by 10.2 million.
India is the second largest in the world with 11 million cases and is currently the fourth largest with 156,385 deaths.
Mexico has the third highest death toll at 180,107 and the thirteenth highest death toll at 2 million.
The UK has 4.1 million cases and 120,987 deaths, the highest in Europe and the fifth highest in the world.
China, Where the virus was first discovered at the end of last year, According to official figures, there were 100,774 confirmed cases and 4,833 deaths.
US COVID deaths exceed 500,000 as experts focus on the FDA’s meeting on J & J’s single-dose vaccine
Source link US COVID deaths exceed 500,000 as experts focus on the FDA’s meeting on J & J’s single-dose vaccine