Pittsburgh

US military launches investigation after possible civilian casualties in Syria strike targeting al Qaeda leader – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2021-12-03 22:25:00 –

According to a Central Army spokesman, the US Central Army began an investigation on Friday after a drone attack on al-Qaeda’s senior leaders could have killed civilians in northwestern Syria. The attack in Syria’s Idlib was carried out by MQ-9. Reaper is targeting al-Qaeda senior leaders and planners, Captain Bill Urban said in a statement. He said a strike against the leader would disrupt Al Qaeda’s ability to plan operations and attacks, but the name of the target was not disclosed. The first review of the strike showed the possibility of civilian casualties. And we will take all possible measures to prevent them. ” “The possibility of civilian casualties was immediately self-reported to the U.S. Central Command. We have begun a full investigation of the allegations and will announce the results where appropriate.” In September, the military north of Syria. Another strike was conducted in the west for the elderly. Alcaeda leader. Approval of potential civilian casualties and immediate initiation of investigation was the Pentagon’s recent admission and killing of civilians after Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin ordered a review of the strike in Syria in March 2019. Was admitted. For the first time, the U.S. Central Command has admitted that a private airstrike in Syria a few days before the collapse of ISIS in 2019 killed several civilians, including women and children. The disclosure followed the publication of the New York Times investigation into strikes. On .17, Austin told reporters at a press conference, “We promise to coordinate our policies and procedures.” Austin believes that “leaders in this sector should be retained to explain high standards of behavior and leadership.” As part of the Secretary of Defense, I have every intention to uphold that standard, “Austin added. Was killed. A review of the strike by the Air Force revealed that there were no serious errors, but no violations of the law, including the law of war. Currently, there are two reviews related to civilian casualties from US military strikes. The first is an investigation into the harm of civilians conducted. According to the RAND Corporation ordered by Parliament under the National Defense Authorization Act of 2020. The second, also conducted by RAND Corporation, focuses on civilian casualties in Syria. Austin said he was undergoing a security review.

A U.S. Central Army began an investigation on Friday after a drone attack on al-Qaeda’s senior leaders could have killed civilians, according to a Central Army spokesman.

The strike in Idlib, Syria, was conducted by MQ-9 Reaper, targeting al-Qaeda senior leaders and planners, Captain Bill Urban said in a statement. The name of the target was not disclosed, but he said a strike against the leader would disrupt their ability to plan al-Qaeda operations and attacks.

The first review of the strike showed the possibility of civilian casualties.

“We hate losing innocent lives and take every possible step to prevent them,” Urban said. “The possibility of civilian casualties was immediately self-reported to the United States Central Command. We have begun a full investigation of the allegations and will announce the results where appropriate.”

In September, the military conducted another strike targeting al-Qaeda senior leaders in northwestern Syria.

Approval of potential civilian casualties and immediate initiation of investigation will follow Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin Ordered a review of the strike in Syria in March 2019Killed a civilian, which the Pentagon had recently admitted.

In mid-November, the U.S. Central Command first admitted that a previously undisclosed airstrike in Syria took place days before the collapse of ISIS in 2019. Killed multiple citizens, Including females and children.

The disclosure is New York Times Survey For a strike.

On November 17, Austin said at a press conference, “We are committed to coordinating our policies and procedures and making sure improvements,” and hold senior leaders responsible for implementing them. He said he would bear it.

“Leaders in this sector should be retained to explain high standards of behavior and leadership,” Austin said.

“And as Secretary of Defense, I have every intention to uphold that standard,” Austin added.

But the Pentagon hasn’t held anyone accountable yet Drone strike on August 29 in Kabul, Afghanistan, 10 civilians were killed, including 7 children. A review of the strike by the Air Force revealed that there were no serious errors, but no violations of the law, including the law of war.

Currently, there are two reviews related to civilian casualties from US military strikes.

The first is an investigation into the harm of civilians conducted by RAND Corporation, which was ordered by Congress under the National Defense Authorization Act of 2020. The second focuses on civilian casualties in Syria, also conducted by RAND Corporation. Austin said he was undergoing a security review.

US military launches investigation after possible civilian casualties in Syria strike targeting al Qaeda leader Source link US military launches investigation after possible civilian casualties in Syria strike targeting al Qaeda leader

Back to top button