Nursing home aides, the staff who provide the most direct care to residents, were least likely to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by mid-July, according to a new analysis of US facilities.
This study emphasizes its impact President Biden’s new federal mission According to experts, all health care workers may be infected with a population such as the elderly in nursing homes that are susceptible to coronavirus infections.
Brian McGarry, a health researcher at the University of Rochester and one of the authors of the analysis, said: Research letter At JAMA Internal Medicine on Thursday.
Low vaccination rates for nursing home workers in some areas have raised concerns about freshness. occurrence Between the staff and residents of these facilities, even if there are many vaccinated residents.Caused by joint death between nursing home staff and residents Almost one-third According to the latest report, as of June 1, the pandemic death rate and staff vaccination rate averaged around 63%. Federal data..
However, an analysis of federal vaccination data up to July 18 showed that just under half of certified nursing assistants were fully vaccinated. Many nursing homes, states and cities have begun to impose obligations..
According to a survey, 61% of both registered and associate nurses were vaccinated across nursing homes, compared to 71% of therapists and independent doctors and assistant doctors and nurse practitioners. 77% of the practitioners who did this were vaccinated.Some large nursing homes have begun to mandate vaccinations When the delta variant begins Tear their community and enter a nursing home.
Nationally, about two-thirds of adults are fully vaccinated. According to federal data..
David Grabowski, a professor of health care policy at Harvard Medical School and one of the authors of the study, said few nursing homes have been mandated so far. Residential vaccination rates have risen slightly, but the overall proportion of nursing homes has been 60% in the last few months, despite the establishment of delta variants and causing new cases between staff and residents. Slightly exceeded.
The nursing home industry, which was opposed to missions specifically aimed at workers, supports a broader US mission. “We commend President Biden for extending the Covid-19 vaccination requirements to all Medicaid and Medicaid-certified healthcare facilities and large corporations.” Mark Parkinson, CEO of the American Health Care Association, a leading long-term care industry association, said in a statement.
Researchers also examined the characteristics of 15,000 nursing homes nationwide to determine which facilities were most successful in immunizing workers. While the vaccination coverage of the counties in which they were located played an important role, researchers also found higher quality assessments from Medicare programs, non-profit status of the facility, and long-standing staff-like characteristics. I found that it seems to lead to a high rate.
“It gives us some suggestions that institutional culture and leadership may play a role,” said Dr. McGarry, and the managers of these orphanages to increase vaccine acceptance. You may be able to work better with their staff.
Understand Vaccine and Mask Obligations in the United States
- Vaccine rules.. August 23, Food and Drug Administration Fully approved by Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine For people over the age of 16, it paves the way for increased obligations in both the public and private sectors.Private companies Increasingly obligatory vaccines For employees.Such a mission Legally permitted And it has been upheld by court complaints.
- Mask rule.. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in July Recommended All Americans wear masks in indoor public places within the area of the outbreak, regardless of vaccination status. This is the reverse of the guidance provided in May. Find out where CDC guidance applies, And where The state has its own mask policy.. The battle for masks is controversial in some states. Local leaders against state bans..
- University. More than 400 universities require students to be vaccinated with Covid-19. Almost everything is in the states that voted for President Biden..
- school..both California When New York City Introduced vaccine obligations to education staff. According to a survey released in August, many American parents with school-age children I’m against the vaccines that students are required to do, More support for mask man dates for students, teachers and staff who do not have shots.
- Hospitals and medical centers.. Many hospitals and major healthcare systems require employees to be vaccinated with the Covid-19 vaccine. It cites an increase in the number of cases caused by Delta variants and a stubbornly low vaccination rate in their community, even within their workforce.
- New York City..Workers and customers need vaccination proof Indoor dining, gym, performance And other indoor situations. However, enforcement will not begin until September 13. Teachers and other educational workers The city’s vast school system requires at least one vaccination by September 27, without the option of weekly testing. Municipal hospital workers You will also need to be vaccinated or have a weekly test. Employees in New York have similar rules.
- At the federal level. The Pentagon has announced that it will mandate the country’s coronavirus vaccination. 1.3 million active troops “At the latest” by mid-September.President Biden announced: All private federal officials need to do it Get vaccinated against coronavirus Or submit regular tests, social distances, mask requirements and restrictions on most trips.
However, these factors alone did not seem to be important to the success of a nursing home. “Many things seemed a bit important,” he said.
The most influential is the president decision Earlier this month, it will impose a new federal obligation to require all health care workers to be vaccinated. Nursing home workers may not be able to easily find a job in a place where vaccines are not required.
“The mission is to get them all off the board and everyone has to do it,” he said.
US Nursing Home Aide, Research Show, least likely to be vaccinated
Source link US Nursing Home Aide, Research Show, least likely to be vaccinated