Fresno, California 2021-06-11 11:53:19 –
Newsam said Thursday night that the US Department of Transportation had completed settlement negotiations to reclaim funds for a high-speed rail project canceled by the Trump administration in 2019.
The $ 929 million grant recovery “will drive job creation, move projects forward, and bring the state one step closer to getting trains to run in California as quickly as possible,” Newsom said in a statement. Stated.
In 2008, California voters approved nearly $ 10 billion in public debt to build a high-speed rail link between Los Angeles and San Francisco, which was scheduled to operate by 2020.
However, the project was plagued by cost overruns and delays. Authorities now hope that trains will run in segments through the agricultural areas of the state’s central valley by 2029.
Critics have accused the segment of being a “train that goes nowhere,” but supporters say it is the test and precursor needed to connect more populous areas.
The project’s business plan expects 500 miles (805 kilometers) of environmental approval between Los Angeles and San Francisco by 2023. Completion of the full line depends on funding and other unknowns.
Last month, Newsom announced a $ 4.2 billion budget proposal for the project, including public debt approved by voters in 2008.
Copyright © 2021 by The Associated Press. All copyrights owned.
US will restore $1B for California’s troubled High-Speed Rail Source link US will restore $1B for California’s troubled High-Speed Rail