Riverside, California 2021-11-30 19:45:01 –
Former Nueces County Commissioner on Tuesday defended the County Commissioner recently accused of misappropriating public resources.
Juan Pimentel, the county’s director of public works, is facing complaints about misusing the county’s funds, personnel, and materials to rebuild his father’s driveway. A county commission court discussed hours of frequent hot complaints in a public session on November 18.
Pimentel and his lawyer, Chris Gale, claimed that he did not specifically instruct anyone to complete the work of his father’s property. They said the work was part of a project to clean up Culvert in northwestern Nueces County, where Pimentel’s father “accidentally” lived.
In the process, his father’s mailbox and driveway were accidentally destroyed, and workers replaced them with temporary or inferior materials, Pimentel and Gale said.
Former District 1 Commissioner Carolyn Bourne addressed the Commissioner in public comments at a public meeting on Tuesday.
Bourne, who lost his bid to Corpus Christi in 2020, said he was “disappointed” in how commissioners handle complaints and that the information given to them may not have been fully “scrutinized.” rice field.
During his tenure, Mr. Bourne asked Pimentel to work on three poorly drained county roads, and said he was worried about working on one of the roads because his family lived there.
“And I said,’It doesn’t matter who lives on the road. Everyone on the road pays taxes. They pass by people who live on the road and they are familiar with them. I won’t fix it, “Vorn said.
She added that Pimentel was “probably one of the best jobs the county has ever created” and his reputation was damaged after the November 18 meeting.
“I wanted to make sure the public knew that I chose that road,” she said. “I chose it, and this court voted for it. So I don’t think he did anything wrong. I think the court has an obligation to apologize to him.”
According to their public comment policy, the commissioners did not respond to Bourne.
Pimentel’s lawyer, Gale, also spoke in public comments on Tuesday.
On November 18, Judge Barbara Canales and District 4 Commissioner Brent Chesnee asked if they could see the “work instructions” submitted before the culvert work took place. That day, Pimentel, Gale, and public works staff said the department would not normally submit work orders. It keeps an activity log called a “worksheet” that is written after the job completes.
But on Tuesday, Gale said he confirmed that “a significant number” of work orders had been created for the project and transferred them to a county lawyer.
“Perhaps some of the fakes about the meeting are probably learning abilities, and I hope everything works for Mr. Pimentel,” Gale said.
Later in the meeting, the commissioner unanimously resolved to instruct the county’s HR manager to develop or revise the policy for investigating complaints made to the department head.
Vicky Camarillo covers Nueces County and Nueces County Government and Business topics in Texas. See subscription options and special offers at Caller.com/subscribe..
Vaughn defends public works director after misappropriation claim Source link Vaughn defends public works director after misappropriation claim