Watch now: Bloomington family to lay Pearl Harbor victim to rest 80 years later | History – Honolulu, Hawaii

Honolulu, Hawaii 2021-10-13 03:39:11 –

For the Arthur Sinness family, the return of the victims of the attack on Pearl Harbor paid off for their tenacity. Please check this out for details.

David Prober

BLOOMINGTON — Gale Staneck finally arrives 80 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor Let my uncle lie down and rest this week.

U.S. Navy Private Sailor Arthur Ray Sines was 17 years old when he was assigned to USS Oklahoma On Ford Island Pearl Harbor..

A Western Union telegram to the Cinnes family notified them that his son Arthur had been declared dead after his ship USS Oklahoma sank in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. DNA analysis is complete.

For pantograph

The battleship was attacked by nine torpedoes on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese fleet launched air strikes on the Pacific Fleet stationed in Hawaii. Oklahoma capsized and sank, killing 415 sailors and 14 Marines.


Rescue teams are working to rescue the crew trapped when USS Oklahoma capsized on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. After a thorough effort, the family received Arthur Sinness’s body at a ceremony in Milwaukee, and the US Navy analyzed the DNA.

U.S. Navy Photo

However, Stanek’s grandmother wanted her son to go home.

“My grandmother wanted the door to be knocked and stay there for the rest of her life,” said Stanex, who lives in Bloomington. Cinness’s mother suspected that he was suffering from amnesia and may have lost the identifier that took him home.

“On his 17th birthday, my grandpa took him to the recruitment center and signed up,” said Stanex. When he told her he was enlisted, Cinness’s mother said, “She became hysterical because she always wanted a boy, and it was her boy, who was just by her … December 7th. By the day it was. He’s gone — or missing. “

After her grandmother died, Stanek’s mother (Shinnes’ sister) took over the effort to find out what happened to him that day.


Gail Staneck has a single star brooch showing the sacrifice of a military family before a telegram announcing that Arthur Sinnes was killed in Pearl Harbor. After exhaustive efforts, the family received Arthur’s remains at a ceremony in Milwaukee after the US Navy was able to identify Arthur by DNA analysis.


Stanek and her mother help identify Shinnes after the Pentagon has announced plans to unearth and identify the bodies of an estimated 388 then-unknown Oklahoma crew members buried in Hawaii. I submitted a DNA sample.

“She also thought they would find him someday. Now I don’t think he had the illusion that he was alive,” said Stanex, who said he was alive because too much time had passed. He said he didn’t believe he was. “But I wanted them to find his body and even see if it was misidentified, so that he could be buried and we could close it.”

NS 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor AttackFive years after her mother died, Stanek stood on the frozen stairs of the McLean County History Museum, grabbing a photo of Uncle Artie and a scrapbook she created. “

The myriad letters to her grandmother’s Navy and the 41 years that Stanek spent calling the Navy Victims Office were rewarded this summer. Defense POWs / MIA Accounting Bureau announces Cinness’s body was identified by dentistry, anthropology, and DNA analysis.

Even if he disappeared before Stanek was born, “He feels like my uncle I always know …. To me, he was a real person.”


The scrapbook page celebrates the life of Arthur Sinnes, who was sentenced to death after his ship, USS Oklahoma, sank in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.


Stanek’s mother told her about how they grew up as best friends. She always tagged “I’m chasing him like a little ant,” and she kept a photo of her brother at home for the rest of her life.

Many of these photos are now on the Navy’s “Navy” page, a reference book for the Navy History Foundation, which she makes into her uncle’s scrapbook.


The scrapbook page records a family looking for news of Arthur Sinness, who was declared dead after his ship, USS Oklahoma, sank in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.


Following his enlistment documents, the paintings he sent home, letters from him, and their hometown paper, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “relentless” letters sent by his mother to the Navy, and attacks from the telegrams he reported. There is a news clip inside. He was “officially declared dead” on December 7th because his family was determined to be “impossible to find” him.

In 1944 he was awarded the Purple Heart chapter, after which his name was recorded on the missing wall of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

According to the Defense POW / MIA Treasurer, after his body was identified, a rosette was to be placed next to his name to indicate that he had been identified.

Cinness’s body will be buried at Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee on October 15.

Please contact Kelsey Watznauer ((309) 820-3254). Follow her on Twitter: @kwatznauer.

Watch now: Bloomington family to lay Pearl Harbor victim to rest 80 years later | History Source link Watch now: Bloomington family to lay Pearl Harbor victim to rest 80 years later | History

Back to top button