Wichita, Kansas 2022-05-20 17:53:21 –
Wichita, Kansas (KSNW) —Recently Amber alert sent to a 5-year-old Rosehill boyKSN News contacted the Kansas Research Bureau (KBI) to investigate the Amber Alert procedure. Two suspects were arrested after the child was found to be safe in Oklahoma..
The first step in the possibility of abducting a child is to contact law enforcement agencies. If law enforcement determines that the case is an Amber Alert situation, it will contact the KBI Service Desk, a 24-hour hotline.
After contacting the KBI Service Desk, law enforcement agencies will be transferred to the KBI Amber Alert Coordinator to weigh the facts of the case against the Department of Justice (DOJ) program standards.
- There was a kidnapping of a child.
- The abducted child is an individual under the age of 17 or with a mental or physical disability.
- There is reason to believe that the victim is in imminent risk, serious personal injury or death.
- There is enough information to disseminate to the general public, which may help in the safe recovery of the victim and / or the arrest of the suspect.
If the coordinator agrees to initiate an amber alert, the coordinator will collect child information, vehicle information, suspect information, photos and more. KBI then enters this information on the Amber Alert website.
If the coordinator initially refuses to issue an alert, law enforcement agencies can continue to call back more information until the alert is granted. KBI teaches law enforcement agencies to “call early and make frequent calls.” So you don’t have to wait and keep updating.
The next step is to start sending the message.
- Emergency Alert System (EAS): Messages sent to state-wide broadcasters and broadcasters
- Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA): Messages sent to mobile phones and other wireless devices
- Social media: Post an alert to an amber alert Facebook When twitter Notify the public online
It will be updated regularly after launch, such as if a suspect or child is found in another vehicle.
KBI loses control of the investigation after the Amber Alert is cancelled. The law enforcement agency in which the abduction occurred within the jurisdiction may take the lead and be associated with the agency in which the suspect was stationed and detained. The suspect may be prosecuted or handed over at the place of discovery.
Finally, the alert is removed from the Amber Alert website and all identification information about the child is removed from social media and media.
What qualifies as an Amber Alert? Source link What qualifies as an Amber Alert?