Tampa

Woman severely burned by pressure cooker device that was later recalled due to injuries – Tampa, Florida

Tampa, Florida 2021-08-09 20:16:57 –

Denver — Georgina Valera suffered two and three burns on her face, arms and chest as she tried to make beans in a pressure cooker when the lid flew.

“How to sit in a pressure cooker … I hit a cupboard and bounced off it,” Barrera explained the impact of the lid flying across the kitchen, sending hot liquid everywhere.

“It exploded and then it was kind of blurry. Everything happened so fast,” Barrera said.

Barrera said the pain was immediate and different from what he had never experienced before. Her mother rushed to the kitchen to help her and called 911. Upon arriving at the hospital, she learned that her burns were terrible.

The process of treatment and recovery lasted for over a year. Meanwhile, doctors used 5 square feet of corpse skin grafts to treat the burned area.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the multicooker can pressurize even if the lid is not completely locked, which can cause the lid to suddenly separate from the device. The CPSC has discovered that this poses a potential burn risk as hot foods and liquids escape from the device.

Burg Simpson, a law firm based in Denver, has filed a proceeding on behalf of Barela for the June 2019 explosion of her Crock-Pot 6-Quart Express Crock Multi-Cooker. This product was later recalled in November 2020.

“They are basically cooking with potential time bombs,” said lawyer Michael Berg.

recall Includes Crock-Pot 6-Quart Express Crock Multi-Cooker, model number SCCPPC600-V1. The recalled model was manufactured between July 1, 2017 and October 1, 2018. If you have any of these devices, discontinue use immediately in pressure cooker mode. However, it can still be used for slow cooking and sauteing.

“What I found outrageous was that they knew that people were burned to their products and what they did. They did it to make money. We continued to sell, “Berg said.

The CPSC received 119 reports of 99 burned closure peels. The injuries ranged from 1 to 3 burns.

Customer reviews posted on several websites where the device was sold warn of this issue. A woman wrote a review on Amazon in July 2018, stating that the multicooker exploded. “I don’t recommend it to anyone !!! IT BLEW UP!” Another woman wrote in February 2018 that her daughter suffered two burns as a result of dysfunction.

Berg wonders why the recall wasn’t issued early, especially as additional relevant complaints began to come in.

“If they had done that, my clients wouldn’t have bought it or burned it,” Berg said.



Woman severely burned by pressure cooker device that was later recalled due to injuries Source link Woman severely burned by pressure cooker device that was later recalled due to injuries

Back to top button