YouTube CEO said the company still sees the risk of subsequent violence January 6 Capitol Hill Riot And it just lifts Former President Donald Trump Suspended If it is determined that the risk of violence has been reduced, then from the video sharing platform.
Susan Wojcski, CEO
Alphabet Co., Ltd.
“I think it’s pretty clear that the high risk of violence still remains, given only yesterday’s Capitol police warnings about today’s potential attacks,” the unit said Thursday. She was speaking at a virtual event hosted by the Atlantic Council, an independent think tank.
Wednesday US Capitol Police Warned about potential plots by identified militia groups Break the building.
Mr. Trump’s representative did not immediately respond to the request for comment.
YouTube suspended Mr. Trump on January 12 for violating policies on content that could incite violence. The company said the suspension would last at least seven days at the time.
YouTube was one of several social media companies, including:
twitter Co., Ltd.
Facebook Co., Ltd.
It kicked Mr. Trump out of their platform this year. The move took place shortly after the Trump mob attacked the US Capitol. Corporate behavior has sparked debate as to whether they are preventing future violence or violating freedom of speech.Mr. Trump was later Accused of inciting an attack According to both Democratic and Republican lawmakers, including Mitch McConnell, then leader of the Senate.
“If we determine that the risk of violence has diminished, we will unsuspend the Donald Trump channel,” Wojcski said, adding that it is unclear when that will happen. “Where we are standing, the risk of violence is still high.”
Twitter is The decision to ban the former president was permanent.. Facebook assigned an external oversight committee in late January Decide if Mr. Trump should be revivedFacebook and Instagram accounts. The former president last month submitted a statement to the board alleging that the ban was unjustified.
At an event on Thursday, Wojcski said YouTube is looking to government warnings and is increasing in the presence of law enforcement agencies across the country in determining whether the risk of violence remains high. Said. She also said that an increase in violent rhetoric on YouTube would serve as a danger signal.
“We have an intelligence desk and we’re trying to see and understand everything in order to anticipate what’s happening on the platform,” she said.
When YouTube is ready to return Trump’s account to the platform, Wojcski said he will be subject to the same policies as all other users. YouTube typically employs a “three strikes” rule in which the user receives three warnings before the account is deleted. However, she said there are exceptions when accounts are blocked more quickly, such as violent extremism. She said it came after the first strike when YouTube suspended Mr. Trump’s account in January.
With fewer law enforcement agencies in the US capital and fewer warnings about violence from government agencies, YouTube will reinstate Mr. Trump’s account. “These are all cues to us that it’s safe to turn the channel back on,” she said.
Write to Sarah E. Needleman firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2020 DowJones & Company, Inc. all rights reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
YouTube CEO says Trump will continue to stop until the risk of violence is reduced
Source link YouTube CEO says Trump will continue to stop until the risk of violence is reduced