Billionaire Jam Najafi launches $3.75 billion bid for Tottenham Hotspur

Iranian-American billionaire Jahm Najafi is preparing a massive $3.75 billion takeover bid for Premier League football club Tottenham Hotspur, two people with first-hand knowledge of the plans reveal made it

Najafi, chairman of MSP Sports Capital, is working with a consortium of investors to structure the bid, with a formal approach just a few weeks away. spurs Owner Joe Louis and football club president Daniel Levy said:

The Najafi- and MSP-led proposal values ​​the club’s equity at about $3 billion before adding about $750 million of debt to the club’s books. The tender is structured for MSP and its partners to contribute his 70% of the purchase price, with supporters from the Gulf States, primarily Abu Dhabi, contributing his remaining 30%.

Acquiring North London-based Spurs could mean spending more to challenge for the Premier League and other trophies. A company affiliated with Chairman Levi, which acquired Spurs in 2000 and bought a 26% stake from businessman Sir Alan Sugar for £21.9m.

Its ownership is valued for its shrewd financial management, new stadium construction and regular Champions League qualification.

Jahm Najafi (left) is Chairman of MSP Sports Capital © XPB Images/Alamy

However, Spurs fans have become increasingly frustrated by the lack of trophies, leading to recent protests over ownership.The club’s last major title was the 2008 League Cup. Managers such as Jose Mourinho and incumbent Antonio Conte have failed to add trophies to his cabinet despite highly rated players such as Harry Kane and Son Heung Min.

Interest of Najafi-led groups football The club will extend to real estate and development rights available through its ownership, one of the people said. Spurs have been playing in modern stadiums since his 2019, allowing the club to host events other than football matches (national football matches, rugby matches, music events, etc.), increasing ticket revenue football There is a movement to reduce reliance on

Najafi is the latest US billionaire to join the ranks of English Premier League club owners.Last year Chelsea Acquired for £2.5bn The deal comes from a consortium led by US investor Todd Boley and private equity group Clearlake Capital, which bought Bournemouth for £120m, led by businessman Bill Foley.

Like Chelsea, Spurs are considered members of the so-called Big 6 group, which includes Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United, and regularly compete for the top of the European Champions League table.

Spurs reported revenue of £444m for the year ending June 2022, up from £361m the previous season. The club posted a net loss of £50m for him.

With global interest in the Premier League growing, some longtime owners have begun to consider exiting. The US billionaire Glazer family, who have owned Manchester United since 2005, are considering selling the club, while Fenway Sports Group’s US owners of Liverpool Football Club have alsoSale.

Until recently, Najafi was a minority shareholder in the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association. Acquired in a $4 billion deal in December. Billionaire Jam Najafi launches $3.75 billion bid for Tottenham Hotspur

Back to top button