Hiking Clothes: What to Wear on Hiking Trip?
Dressing correctly on a hike is much more important than in a civilized environment. After getting wet in the city, you will take the bus home, run into a cafe or the nearest shopping center, where you will quickly warm up and dry out. And in the wild, you will be left alone with the cold, rain, and freezing wind. Therefore, in any season, be sure to consider a list of hiking clothing, from jackets to socks. We have already told you how to choose trekking shoes, but here we will talk specifically about clothes.
Summer is a synonym for the word “hike”. The bright sun, green forests, stone mountain peaks – new places and untrodden paths call to hit the road. Therefore, we figure out how to dress for an active trip so that it will only bring a thrill.
– on the body. The best choice for a summer hike is a T-shirt. It will not get hot in it, and the straps of the backpack will not chafe your shoulders. Trekking apparel manufacturers make T-shirts made from technologically advanced materials that wick away excess moisture and provide excellent ventilation. In major sportswear stores, you will find tons of affordable, high-quality options.
A must-have item of clothing is a windbreaker or wind jacket. These are lightweight waterproof and windproof jackets that save you from light rain and other vagaries of the weather.
In order not to freeze during the evening gatherings around the fire, bring a warm jacket or sweatshirt.
– on your feet. We choose hiking pants from dense and durable fabric. Pants of any length made of lightweight and technologically advanced materials are suitable, which will provide moisture-wicking. In hot weather, you want to wear shorts, this is permissible, but remember that bare skin is a tasty morsel for insects, nettles, sedges, and thorny bushes. In case of rain, bring along thin membrane pants.
– socks and underwear. The main rule is that there should be enough socks. Don’t limit yourself to one pair, they are thin, lightweight, and lightweight. But if the only socks get wet, a spoiled mood and rubbed feet are guaranteed. If you want to increase the level of comfort, buy special trekking socks – they additionally support the foot, wick moisture away, and prevent corns from chafing.
What kind of underwear to take – choose solely based on your own preferences.
Don’t go on a long hike in jeans and a denim jacket. Their weight in a backpack will not please you, and once it gets wet, things made of tight jeans are unlikely to dry out quickly.
Among tourists, military suits “slide”, which completely cover the body, are popular. True, they weigh a lot and do not breathe. In addition, we advise you not to dress in camouflage colors, as this will make it difficult to find if you fall behind the group or get lost.
Even southern summer nights are often chilly. But leave your favorite plush pajamas at home – they won’t work for the hike. Take a set of thermal underwear instead.
Be sure to bring along a replacement T-shirt, pants, several pairs of socks, and underwear, these necessary additional things will not take up much space in your backpack.
– headdress. A cap, Panama hat, or a thin buff will protect you from the sun in open areas and tenacious branches in the forest area.
– raincoat. An easy and convenient way to protect yourself from the rain. Even if the weather forecast only promises sunny days, do not neglect the raincoat. The weather is changeable, especially in mountainous areas.
Most people wrap themselves in a blanket in autumn and drink mulled wine to their favorite TV series, but not tourists. If you do not want to spend the off-season within four walls, then turn off your laptop, pour mulled wine into a thermos, and for now, we will tell you how to dress properly for a trip in the off-season.
– on the body. You know to dress in layers on a hike? It’s much more practical than putting on one big and warm grandma’s goat hair sweater.
The bottom layer is basic, it regulates moisture removal. Most often, the first layer is thermal underwear (it is still warm in it) or a T-shirt. Before that, we wrote how to choose thermal underwear. The second layer is insulation. For warmth, wear a fleece or any comfortable jacket and warm trousers for women as well as for men. The third layer is windproof. It is optimal if it is a membrane jacket or a waterproof wind jacket. At parking lots and overnight stays, a warm jacket and a light puffer jacket will come in handy.
– on your feet. Regardless of the season, running pants need to be sturdy. In addition to them, take membrane pants with you, but protect them in the forest from bushes and thorns, thin membrane pants protect well from rain but do not have the required strength. An alternative will be pants made of Soft Shell material – a cross between ordinary tight pants and a membrane. Spare fleece pants will not interfere with parking and overnight stays.
– socks and underwear. Everything is the same as in the summer season. And for parking and spending the night, grab a pair of thicker socks.
No season is suitable for sitting at home. Dress warmly, equip properly, and go hiking!